WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- How to work with different units of time.
- How to quickly work out the total of several periods of time.
- How to use both 12-hour and 24-hour clocks.
- How to work with ‘school weeks’.
- How to calculate reading ages.
1. SAMPLE MENTAL ARITHMETIC QUESTION (NON-CALCULATOR)
A school day begins at 8:55am. In the morning session, there are two fifty minute lessons, then a fifteen minute break, and then one more fifty minute lesson. What time does the morning session end?
2. SAMPLE ON-SCREEN QUESTION (CALCULATOR)
A parents evening starts at 15:45.
A teacher needs to see 26 parents, and each parent has a 6 minute appointment with the teacher.
Midway through the parents evening, the teacher takes a 20 minute break.
At what time can the teacher expect to leave the parents evening?
The ‘Guide to the QTS Numeracy Skills Test’ book contains a full chapter on time, including step-by-step explanations and demonstrations of all the skills that you need to know, and a practice exercise on the topic with 20 questions.
If you would like to be sent fully worked solutions to that exercise, just pop your details in the boxes and we will send them over to you.
If you are still struggling with this topic, we have created a selection of resources to provide all the help you need.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Book – The Guide to the QTS Skills Tests book devotes a whole chapter to the topic of time, with detailed methods, worked examples and plenty of practice questions for you to have a go at.
- Practice QTS Numeracy Tests – Want to put your skills to the test and see how ready you are? Take a look at our selection of practice papers for the QTS numeracy test.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Cheat Sheets – Our cheat sheets boil down everything you need to know to just the key points on the topic. They are a perfect resource for your last minute revision!
- QTS Numeracy Coaching – Coaching is the ultimate in personalised support. Book your one-on-one Skype video calls where you can work through the issues that you struggle with at a pace that suits you.