WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- How to work out percentages of amounts.
- How to find starting amounts from percentages.
- How to express one number as a percentage of another number.
- How to calculate percentage increases and decreases.
- How to work with ‘percentage points’.
1. SAMPLE MENTAL ARITHMETIC QUESTION (NON-CALCULATOR)
Twenty children out of a group of thirty-two go out on a trip. What percentage of the group do not go on the trip?
2. SAMPLE ON-SCREEN QUESTION (CALCULATOR)
The table below shows the numbers of students from five schools that were entered for a higher tier exam, and the fraction of those students that passed.
Which student(s) improved their score by 10 or more percentage points over the course of the term.
The ‘Guide to the QTS Numeracy Skills Test’ book contains a full chapter on percentages, including step-by-step explanations and demonstrations of all the skills that you need to know, and a practice exercise on the topic with 20 questions.
If you would like to be sent fully worked solutions to that exercise, just pop your details in the boxes and we will send them over to you.
If you are still struggling with this topic, we have created a selection of resources to provide all the help you need.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Book – The Guide to the QTS Skills Tests book devotes a whole chapter to the topic of percentages, with detailed methods, worked examples and plenty of practice questions for you to have a go at.
- Practice QTS Numeracy Tests – Want to put your skills to the test and see how ready you are? Take a look at our selection of practice papers for the QTS numeracy test.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Cheat Sheets – Our cheat sheets boil down everything you need to know to just the key points on the topic. They are a perfect resource for your last minute revision!
- QTS Numeracy Coaching – Coaching is the ultimate in personalised support. Book your one-on-one Skype video calls where you can work through the issues that you struggle with at a pace that suits you.