WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- How to work out total costs – including with sales, special deals, taxes and credit card or delivery charges.
- How to work out expense claims.
- How to calculate income, expenditure, profit and loss.
- How to convert money from one currency to another.
1. SAMPLE MENTAL ARITHMETIC QUESTION (NON-CALCULATOR)
A teacher travels from school to a training centre and back again. The training centre is eight miles away from the school, and the teacher can claim thirty-five pence per mile in expenses. How much money can the teacher claim in total?
2. SAMPLE ON-SCREEN QUESTION (CALCULATOR)
Thirty students travel to Germany on a school trip.
Each of the students changes £80 into Euros at an exchange rate of £1:€1.26.
Each student must pay €24 to stay in a hostel, and the group must split the €165 cost of the coach between them.
How much money, in Euros, will each student be left for the trip?
The ‘Guide to the QTS Numeracy Skills Test’ book contains a full chapter on money, including step-by-step explanations and demonstrations of all the skills that you need to know, and a practice exercise on the topic with 20 questions.
If you would like to be sent fully worked solutions to that exercise, just pop your details in the boxes and we will send them over to you.
If you are still struggling with this topic, we have created a selection of resources to provide all the help you need.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Book – The Guide to the QTS Skills Tests book devotes a whole chapter to the topic of money, with detailed methods, worked examples and plenty of practice questions for you to have a go at.
- Practice QTS Numeracy Tests – Want to put your skills to the test and see how ready you are? Take a look at our selection of practice papers for the QTS numeracy test.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Cheat Sheets – Our cheat sheets boil down everything you need to know to just the key points on the topic. They are a perfect resource for your last minute revision!
- QTS Numeracy Coaching – Coaching is the ultimate in personalised support. Book your one-on-one Skype video calls where you can work through the issues that you struggle with at a pace that suits you.