WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- How to convert between metric units of distance, weight and capacity.
- How to convert between other units using unfamiliar conversions.
- How to calculate speed, distance and time.
- How to perform multi-step unit conversions.
1. SAMPLE MENTAL ARITHMETIC QUESTION (NON-CALCULATOR)
What is the average speed in miles per hour of a school minibus that travels 18 miles in 40 minutes?
27 miles per hour
2. SAMPLE ON-SCREEN QUESTION (CALCULATOR)
A map is drawn to a scale of 1:500,000.
On the map, two towns are 22cm apart.
On a journey between those towns, a teacher notes that 40 miles have already been travelled.
How long will it take to complete the journey, travelling at an average speed of 50 kilometres per hour. Give your answer to the nearest minute.
The ‘Guide to the QTS Numeracy Skills Test’ book contains a full chapter on measurements, including step-by-step explanations and demonstrations of all the skills that you need to know, and a practice exercise on the topic with 20 questions.
If you would like to be sent fully worked solutions to that exercise, just pop your details in the boxes and we will send them over to you.
If you are still struggling with this topic, we have created a selection of resources to provide all the help you need.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Book – The Guide to the QTS Skills Tests book devotes a whole chapter to the topic of measurements, with detailed methods, worked examples and plenty of practice questions for you to have a go at.
- Practice QTS Numeracy Tests – Want to put your skills to the test and see how ready you are? Take a look at our selection of practice papers for the QTS numeracy test.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Cheat Sheets – Our cheat sheets boil down everything you need to know to just the key points on the topic. They are a perfect resource for your last minute revision!
- QTS Numeracy Coaching – Coaching is the ultimate in personalised support. Book your one-on-one Skype video calls where you can work through the issues that you struggle with at a pace that suits you.