CONVERTING FRACTIONS, DECIMALS & PERCENTAGES
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- How to convert a percentage to a fraction or a decimal.
- How to convert a decimal to a percentage or a fraction.
- How to convert a fraction to a decimal or a percentage.
- How to convert a fraction with a denominator that does not go easily into 100.
1. SAMPLE MENTAL ARITHMETIC QUESTION (NON-CALCULATOR)
Express sixty-five per cent as a fraction. Give your answer in its simplest form.
2. SAMPLE ON-SCREEN QUESTION (CALCULATOR)
A sixth form college collected data showing the proportion of students dropping different subjects part way through their A-Level course.
The data is given using different proportions and is shown in the table below.
Which subject had the greatest proportion of people dropping out?
The ‘Guide to the QTS Numeracy Skills Test’ book contains a full chapter on converting fractions, decimals and percentages, including step-by-step explanations and demonstrations of all the skills that you need to know, and a practice exercise on the topic with 20 questions.
If you would like to be sent fully worked solutions to that exercise, just pop your details in the boxes and we will send them over to you.
If you are still struggling with this topic, we have created a selection of resources to provide all the help you need.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Book – The Guide to the QTS Skills Tests book devotes a whole chapter to the topic of converting fractions, decimals and percentages, with detailed methods, worked examples and plenty of practice questions for you to have a go at.
- Practice QTS Numeracy Tests – Want to put your skills to the test and see how ready you are? Take a look at our selection of practice papers for the QTS numeracy test.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Cheat Sheets – Our cheat sheets boil down everything you need to know to just the key points on the topic. They are a perfect resource for your last minute revision!
- QTS Numeracy Coaching – Coaching is the ultimate in personalised support. Book your one-on-one Skype video calls where you can work through the issues that you struggle with at a pace that suits you.