BOX & WHISKER
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- How to read values from a box and whisker plot.
- How to compare data from two or more box and whisker plots.
- How to work out the quantity represented by each section of a box and whisker plot.
1. SAMPLE ON-SCREEN QUESTION (CALCULATOR)
A school produced a box and whisker plot to show the performance of 120 students in a French exam.
Indicate all the true statements:
- The interquartile range of students was 65.
- 30 students scored 70% or above.
- Half of the students scored 48% or below.
False, True, False
The ‘Guide to the QTS Numeracy Skills Test’ book contains a full chapter on box and whisker diagrams, including step-by-step explanations and demonstrations of all the skills that you need to know, and a practice exercise on the topic with 20 questions.
If you would like to be sent fully worked solutions to that exercise, just pop your details in the boxes and we will send them over to you.
If you are still struggling with this topic, we have created a selection of resources to provide all the help you need.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Book – The Guide to the QTS Skills Tests book devotes a whole chapter to the topic of box and whisker diagrams, with detailed methods, worked examples and plenty of practice questions for you to have a go at.
- Practice QTS Numeracy Tests – Want to put your skills to the test and see how ready you are? Take a look at our selection of practice papers for the QTS numeracy test.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Cheat Sheets – Our cheat sheets boil down everything you need to know to just the key points on the topic. They are a perfect resource for your last minute revision!
- QTS Numeracy Coaching – Coaching is the ultimate in personalised support. Book your one-on-one Skype video calls where you can work through the issues that you struggle with at a pace that suits you.