AVERAGES & RANGE
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- How to find the mode, median and mean of a list of values.
- How to find the range of a list of values.
- How to find averages from frequency tables.
- How to use one of the averages and the range to determine possible values.
1. SAMPLE ON-SCREEN QUESTION (CALCULATOR)
A teacher produced the following table to show the marks achieved by children in three spelling tests.
Choose all true statements:
- Nobody scored less than five marks on Test A.
- Nobody scored less than five marks on Test B.
- At least one student scored full marks on Test C.
The ‘Guide to the QTS Numeracy Skills Test’ book contains a full chapter on averages and range, including step-by-step explanations and demonstrations of all the skills that you need to know, and a practice exercise on the topic with 20 questions.
If you would like to be sent fully worked solutions to that exercise, just pop your details in the boxes and we will send them over to you.
If you are still struggling with this topic, we have created a selection of resources to provide all the help you need.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Book – The Guide to the QTS Skills Tests book devotes a whole chapter to the topic of averages and range, with detailed methods, worked examples and plenty of practice questions for you to have a go at.
- Practice QTS Numeracy Tests – Want to put your skills to the test and see how ready you are? Take a look at our selection of practice papers for the QTS numeracy test.
- QTS Numeracy Revision Cheat Sheets – Our cheat sheets boil down everything you need to know to just the key points on the topic. They are a perfect resource for your last minute revision!
- QTS Numeracy Coaching – Coaching is the ultimate in personalised support. Book your one-on-one Skype video calls where you can work through the issues that you struggle with at a pace that suits you.